Thursday, August 23, 2012

Wild Monkeys and Cornbread Mexican Casserole

So, school has started, let the chaos begin. How do you reign in your crew once the doors open to homework, spelling tests, and friendship friction?  Hannah just started school this week, so we are only dealing with a few issues so far.

#1 Wild Monkeys When Hannah gets home from school, my kids go bonkers!!  I guess they think they need to make up for the seven hours spent apart.  They run up and down the hall way, do gymnastics on the couch, and squeal non-stop.  I love that they love each other, but this is my Dinner Prep and Afternoon Tidy time.  Squealing Monkeys can really affect the tastiness of my food.  I don't want to punish them or even separate them, even though that may calm my nerves.  Please, give me wisdom.
How can I support brother/sister time without losing my mind?

#2 Unfortunate Uniforms  My daughter's school requires uniforms.  No, problem right.  Well, I have spent the last three weeks scouring Louisville to find clothes for my sweet five year old, who has the physique and height of a seven year old.  After dragging her to 5 different stores, yesterday we had 2 skirts, 3 shirts(all white), and a pair of pants.  So, today I ventured out again, while she was at school.  I finally found a store with plenty of sizes, colors, styles etc.  Only problem being that Hannah wasn't there to try them on.  lol. I bought six items, three of which I will have to return/exchange.  Oh the challenges of kindergarten...=). What was school clothes shopping like for you?

#3 Dinner Planning  I try to plan dinner for the next week on Thursdays.  I write down all the ingredients I need, plus other foods, or household items.  But Almost, Always, I forget at least one ingredient from each dinner.  For example, My favorite recipe this week featured below is Cornbread Mexican Casserole.  I purchased all the ingredients except...cornbread mix! Maybe, I will try shopping while Hannah is at school next week.  Hopefully chasing only one child will help me focus half of my brain on grocery shopping. How is Dinner at your house?

My Favorite Dinner this week: Cornbread Mexican Casserole


You need 2 packs Taco Seasoning, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of black beans, 3/4 taco sauce, 1 can corn, Shredded Cheese, 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix


Mix corn, black beans, tomatoes, shredded cheese and taco sauce in bowl. 
My husband likes an extra kick, so I make him an individual casserole with green chiles.
Brown Ground Beef, Add Taco Seasoning (follow directions on packets) Add Beef to Corn Mixture.
Pour into 13X9 pan,  
Follow directions for cornbread. Pour on top of meat mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.



This is a delicious, hearty meal.  Hannah and I love it.  Isaiah is a little pickier.  I wish I could say he was a meat and potatoes boy, but he doesn't even like potatoes.  This is the only way I have gotten him to eat any kind of beans and corn.  
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment