Monday, August 13, 2012

Tuesday Teachable Moments Indeed: Inspired by Children, Challenged by the Word

When is your child ready for scripture?

As you may remember in a previous post, my five year old learned a memory verse from VBS and is using that verse(Isaiah 41:10) on a daily basis to overcome some of her fears. As proud as I was of Hannah's ability to memorize and find strength on that memory verse, I also was shocked.  I remember the beginning of the night when her teacher handed me the memory verse, and I thought to myself "Well, I will read it to her, but she is barely five.  I'm not sure if she is ready for memory verses." I am not sure why I underestimated her.  I know how smart she is.  But maybe it wasn't really about her, and more about how much I miss seeing God's word around me and relying on scripture on a daily basis.  How often do I look to God's word for answers, even memorize helpful scriptures, only to leave them in the back of my brain getting dusty. I am not sure if you have been here, but  I think we can easily miss how eager our children our to soak up God's wisdom and guidance.      


I went to church and learned memory verses.  I always had high points on Memory Verses at Church Camp.  But I don't think as a child I realized why is I was memorizing it.  For me, it was just a church thing, I didn't use them at home or even talk about the bible at all. Of course, I want it to be different with my children.  I want them to be drawn to word for wisdom.  I want them to see me drawn to the word, as well. Work in Progress.

  
So, what now?  Time to get challenged.  At least, for me anyways.  I definitely try to teach my children about God every day.  I look for teachable moments, I let the kids help me examine how our actions line up with God's desires for us.  But I think it's time, I start to put more responsibility in their court.  No more underestimating their abilities.  As a special education teacher, one of my pet peeves is not giving students high expectations, with the needed support of course.  I am still not sure what this whole challenge will look like, but I have a few ideas.  


Scriptures through the Alphabet:Good Place to Start?
 http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2011/10/abc-printable-scripture-cards/


 If you don't know me well, you will soon figure out I am a very visual learner.  I love challenges, but I need a starting point and a visual plan.  Thankfully, we are surrounded by Godly mothers and fathers who are also trying to impress scripture onto the hearts of their children.  My favorite, so far, is http://impressyourkids.org/ 
The Mommy Blogger: Amanda, previously in children's ministry, now is a stay at home mom of two.  Her goal is that  God's word just BE part of their everyday life.  She has some wonderful ideas.  



Dear God,

         Help me to make your word a part of our daily lives. Continue to amaze me with how malleable and thirsty my babies hearts are.  Help me to expect Great Things from my children, while providing the support needed to achieve them. Cast off the doubt and insecurities the devil sends my way.  Challenge me, with how much they soak up.  Let your word flow through our hearts and out our mouths.


I pray that just like the rain comes down and always waters the earth, God’s Word will fall into my children’s lives and it will produce results! (Isaiah 55:10-11)


















Another fabulous Mother raising her children in the word is Becky Crenshaw.  Very Inspiring, Check her out. http://beckycrenshaw.com/



I think our next verse should transition us from Not Being Afraid to Having Peace.


For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of POWER and of LOVE and of a SOUND MIND.
 2 Timothy 1:7



How do you approach the word with your children?  Was scripture taught to you as a child?  Were you taught to use your verses to fight the devil's lies? Do your children amaze you in God's word?

No comments:

Post a Comment