Thursday, August 16, 2012

Therapy Thursday: Sensory Made Simple

Let's Make It Simple...One of my best skills is to make things more difficult than they are.  The truth is Sensory Strategies really are EASY!  But first let me answer some questions.

1. Who do sensory strategies benefit?
Everyone!!!  Why? because we all have senses and we all have times where our senses are under-worked or over-worked. I use sensory exercises with my children, my special ed students, and the general ed students during collaboration.  The fact is, school is getting much more demanding everyday.  With all the additional content standards to master, physical movement is cut down to 15-30 minutes a day.  That's not enough for any kid, nonetheless, a student with sensory needs.  So, whether you are a parent, general ed. teacher or a special ed teacher, incorporate movement into your everday activities.  They are also a great resource for kids with sensory issues.

2. Why do they work?
Sensory Integration Activities provide fun and easy avenues of sensory input. Whether they calm and organize the nervous system, help develop normal understanding of different textures/smells/tastes, or increase and decrease energy levels; they are necessary part of development for ANY child.


3. When do I use sensory strategies?
I categorize sensory strategies into 2 groups: preventative and reactive.
Preventative: I definitely recommend building activities into your daily routine for all kids.  If you know that your child has a sensory integration disorder, then a sensory diet, or activities designed to provide the specific input needed for your child should be offered at the same times each day.  
Remember, that many of these activities can provide calming and focus. Try to notice when your child is seeking that input and provide it in an appropriate way.

My favorite Sensory Input is...Heavy Work!  WHAT? No, I don't lift cinder blocks over my head for fun. Heavy work is also known as deep pressure.  
As a child I was known for two things: 1) I love kids, I always wanted to help in the nursery, be around babies, even change diapers. 2) Completely Clumsy- I broke both my ankles, my wrist, collarbone, nose, split open my head, and my chin.  All at different times of course.  NO, my parents did NOT beat me! My parents were caring and loving and very accommodating to my 'clumsy' nature.  


The truth was I wasn't just CLUMSY, I wasn't able to process propioceptive input.  My brain wasn't getting the information about where my body was compared to things around me. And on top of that my brain wasn't picking up on the sense of typical touch.  
I bumped into walls, cabinets, tripped over carpet, bags, even my own feet; most of the time I didn't even notice.  Why?  My brain was not recognizing normal, typical touch stimuli. I needed extra input.




No comments:

Post a Comment