Thursday, July 12, 2012

Trying to get on Track


I have been asked for house keeping advice...wow!

A sweet friend of mine, recently asked for some advice on juggling married life, motherhood, work, and a clean house.  In all honesty, I struggle with this daily.  I grew up reading and learning about the Proverbs 31 Woman. There are definitely a few of the P31 characteristics that I lack.  My two biggest issues are organization and motivation.  For the past two years, we have lived with my in-laws.  This year, I really wanted to do better with my part of cooking and cleaning.  I started meal planning in January and did fairly well with it. However, the house cleaning was another story.   

Proverbs 31:25 // Proverbs-31-woman 
Proverbs 31 woman
House Cleaning

She watches over the affairs of her household,
Proverbs 31:27
Affairs of Household: dishes, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, mopping, budgeting, groceries, etc.





Warning:  I am a work in progress.  After almost 8 years of marriage, 7 moves, and two kids, I do not have this down to a science.  But I do have a system that I am starting to follow.  JustMommies.com has a great arsenal of resources for organized house cleaning. The website http://www.justmommies.com/articles/home-organization-plan.php   
has daily habits , weekly tasks for your house cleaning schedule, as well as, things you focus on during the month.  I really like the concept and plan to follow it the best that I can.   


Daily Habits

Morning Tasks:
1. Make beds.
2. Wipe down Bathroom (I keep Lysol wipes handy for this)
3. Set out something for dinner

Midday Tasks
1. Make sure your weekly or monthly tasks are done.
2. Afternoon Tidy

Evening Tasks
1. Kids bath, brush, and bed.
2. Make sure your kitchen is cleaned.

Weekly Cleaning Tasks
Monday: washing laundry and changing your bed linen and bathroom towels
Tuesday: vacuuming, dusting, and cleaning your bathroom
Wednesday: laundry, cleaning windows, and wiping down door knobs and light switches
Thursday: vacuuming and menu planning
Friday: laundry and mopping


There is a calendar with the monthly tasks, but I am so visual that I need everything in front of me. daily, weekly, monthly.  So my plan is to write monday - friday on cards with am, midday, pm tasks.  I will leave a spot for the monthly task, after I laminate them I can write the task with a dry erase marker.


I have seen all the lovely Command Centers on Pinterest, where supermom posts her menu, tasks, chores, etc.  And of course I want one too!  But, for now my Command Center will be pretty basic.  Here is what I have sooo far! 


 I plan to laminate my cards and then I can write the monthly task on each card for the next week and mark each job off when I am finished.

Command Center




Once school starts, I might do some tweaking based on my schedule.  I will be taking at least one master level class at night, Hannah will be starting dance, and of course, I will have plenty of lesson planning. So, I may have switch some tasks around if necessary. Also,  I would like to try using some of the monthly tasks as 'jobs' for my five year old, so she can start understanding the value and importance of money.


I will definitely keep you posted if it is able to keep me on track or if crash and burn right into my messy house.


Let me know some more helpful tips that you use to keep your home in order.

2 comments:

  1. I have two words for this post: Thank You!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I suggest reading My Successes and Monday Magic/weekly Check in to see what I have tweaked so far. Remember to make it work for your family.

    ReplyDelete